Around the World in 80 Recipes

This site was created for those who would like to recreate the meals I have written about in the "Around the World in 80 Meals" site. (http://80meals.blogspot.com) On that site, I describe the meals that are cooked for me by people from many different cultures...I enjoy eating those meals and I hope to shed a more positive light on the multicultural society in the Netherlands.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

I'm Dutch/American, 29 years old, and love getting to know new people and new cultures. Plus I enjoy a good meal! So what better way to combine these interests than through this blog? The idea is to talk to my hosts about what role food plays in their life, who taught them how to cook, what differences they see between local (food) culture and their own, etc. I started out in the Netherlands, but continued the project after my move to the UK in 2007. Email: eightymeals at yahoo dot com

Friday, May 11, 2007

Peruvian Picarones

Picarones

Ingredients (serves 2):
1/2 cup of boiled pumpkin or butternut squash
1/4 cup of water (that the pumpkin was boiled in)
3 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon maizena
1 teaspoon sugar
oil (for frying)

Syrup:
500 grams of chancaca (dark brown sugar)
2 cups water
peel of one orange, finely grated

Preparations:
For the syrup: Put the ingredients for the syrup in a pan with a thick bottom. Let the sugar melt into a syrup at a low fire. It should be dark and thick.

For the picarones: First, boil the pumpkin and drain. Then dissolve the yeast in a bit of the water you boiled the pumpkin in, with the teaspoon of sugar.
With a blender, mix the boiled pumpkin and add the milk bit by bit. Then add the flour and the maizena while constantly mixing. Then add the yeast mixture and mix it all into a thick batter. Put the batter into a bowl and put it in a pre-heated oven. Turn off the heat after a minute and let the batter rise while still in the oven.
Finally, we fry the batter in plenty of oil to make the picarones. They should have the shape of a ring (about 10 cm diameter).
Serve hot with lots of syrup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home