Around the World in 80 Recipes

This site was created for those who would like to recreate the meals I have written about in the "Around the World in 80 Meals" site. (http://80meals.blogspot.com) On that site, I describe the meals that are cooked for me by people from many different cultures...I enjoy eating those meals and I hope to shed a more positive light on the multicultural society in the Netherlands.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

I'm Dutch/American, 29 years old, and love getting to know new people and new cultures. Plus I enjoy a good meal! So what better way to combine these interests than through this blog? The idea is to talk to my hosts about what role food plays in their life, who taught them how to cook, what differences they see between local (food) culture and their own, etc. I started out in the Netherlands, but continued the project after my move to the UK in 2007. Email: eightymeals at yahoo dot com

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Slovenian Apple Štrudel

Slovenian Apple Štrudel

Ingredients: (serves 12)
dough:
250 g flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup oil
pinch of salt
====mix ingredients, knead and let stand for 30 min. in a bowl covered with a teacloth.
filling:
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
====mix ingredients in small bowl
apple filling:
130 g sugar
1250 g apples
handful of fine bread crumbs
40 g butter
raisins and cinnamon to taste
====melt butter in pan, add breadcrumbs, fry till a paste forms.
peel and grate apples.

On a big table covered with an old (but clean!) tablecloth, roll out the dough till it's so thin you can see the tablecloth through it. Then cover the dough thinly with the sour cream mixture, toss the grated apples on top and drizzle the butter mixture over the apples. Now sprinkle with sugar. If desired, add raisins and cinnamon now. (See the main 80meals post for explanatory pictures)
Roll the dough up into a "sausage" and cut into pieces that will fit into your oven dishes. Bake for about 55 minutes at 180 °C (350 °F).
Serve hot, sprinkled with powdered sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home