Around the World in 80 Recipes

This site was created for those who would like to recreate the meals I have written about in the "Around the World in 80 Meals" site. (http://80meals.blogspot.com) On that site, I describe the meals that are cooked for me by people from many different cultures...I enjoy eating those meals and I hope to shed a more positive light on the multicultural society in the Netherlands.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom

I'm Dutch/American, 29 years old, and love getting to know new people and new cultures. Plus I enjoy a good meal! So what better way to combine these interests than through this blog? The idea is to talk to my hosts about what role food plays in their life, who taught them how to cook, what differences they see between local (food) culture and their own, etc. I started out in the Netherlands, but continued the project after my move to the UK in 2007. Email: eightymeals at yahoo dot com

Friday, July 14, 2006

Romanian Ardei umpluţi (stuffed green pepper)

Romanian Ardei umpluţi (stuffed green pepper)

Ingredients: (serves 4)
8 green peppers
500 g ground meat (pork/veal/beef/lamb)
half cup of rice
2 large onions, diced
1 big can of diced tomatoes
2 small cans of tomato paste
salt and pepper
chopped parsley and/or dill and thyme
sour cream

Preparations:
Wash and clean inside of peppers; Fry the rest of the ingredients (except the sour cream) in a frying pan till onions are soft and meat is well done. The rice is still hard. Stuff peppers with the mixture, place in a heavy pan and add water to cover the peppers. Let simmer on a low fire for about 40 minutes until rice is well cooked. Top the peppers with sour cream and serve.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sampon said...

That´s nice, I didn´t know that Romanians have a stuffed pepper, too! In Hungary we make it similar, but the tomato isn´t inside the peppers, but the stuffed peppers are cooked in tomato sauce. Sour cream is used to soften the tomato taste.

2:07 AM  
Blogger {PurpleD} said...

In the original recipe you don't cook the meat before stuffing the peppers.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Melany said...

delicios!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home